Even though I’m abroad for my last semester of college, life is not all full of glitter and wild escapades. More often than not, I find myself wallowing in the depths of college senioritis. Okay so maybe I did spend spring break in Egypt but that’s besides the point of this post. Studying in a foreign country the last semester of college does not mask the reality of an ending college career.
18 Truths About Life As A College Senior
1. After years of mastering the art of the microwave and running hot water it’s safe to say I have graduated to the minimum possible, also known as the fridge. Seriously, sometimes I just leave food in the grocery bag by my desk and eat from that. And who needs plates, right?
2. Time is a cycle between food and sleep, anything in between has little priority.
3. Waking up, remind me again for what exactly? The youngsters irritate you by their sleeping habits. You sleep early and wake up late and they sleep late and wake up early. WHY?? I need to sleep from 10pm to noon why you no understand?
4. Laundry gets done when the undies are none. Because life has been winding down to the bare necessities, it seems only underwear needs washing these days.
5. Going to the grocery store is a major accomplishment, even if just for toilet paper.
6. Parties are no longer interesting, you only go for the free alcohol and to pick fun at the youngsters. And when someone tries talking to you this is how you feel:
7. While your flatmates have a party, you binge watch Homeland on Netflix because you know it may just be one of the last times you can stay up until 4am without feeling guilty.
8. Being asked ‘what are your plans after graduation?’ immediately yields anxiety and the need to punch someone in the face. Like really, did you just ask me that. Because I’m pretty sure you had no clue where the hell your life was going before you graduated.
9. Because your general face at this point is fairly expressionless due to the masquerading of impending doom, only your true friends know how you feel and when you’re happy or upset.
10. No one gets why you constantly turn down offers to go out. ‘Please just leave me alone, I’m attempting to sort out my life by scrolling through the lives of others and eating this whole box of pizza in solitude, thank you and have a good night’.
11. Boxed wine no longer makes the grade, time to get classy. Seriously store brand wine you continue to disappoint.
12. Every club turns into a horror show as you overestimate your youthfulness and resort to drinking instead while unknowingly spend every last dime in your wallet.
13. Class. Once a week. It just happens. You look at your schedule and panic as you notice that you only have a one day off. That’s quite preposterous. Better flip that around and go for a six day weekend.
14. While I’m isolated abroad, I can’t even imagine how I would go about applying for jobs. Major panic. Skype interviews?? It’ll have to wait until I settle back in with my parents. Crisis averted.
15. After spending the past 3+ years working towards graduating with honors, somehow you couldn’t careless about grades. All this neglect of school work is somehow justified. Sleeping in and doing nothing is such a relief.
16. You would rather watch re-runs of Seinfeld than leave your apartment.
17. Exercise? What exactly is that, an excuse to eat more unhealthy food? Well I do that anyways so that’s that.
18. However, you’ve come to the realization that you are no longer a little booger messing around and life is about to get real. It’s scary, sad, freeing, shocking and miserable all at once. To handle these fluctuating emotions you indulge in some much needed Ben and Jerry’s as you cry alone while watching the Lion King, reassuring yourself that your diploma is just around the corner.